Sunday, June 1, 2014

El Sábado y Domingo - 5/31-6/1

On Saturday we went to Caral, which is the oldest civilization in Peru and all of South America.  The Caral ruins are therefore the oldest ruins in all of South America and they were pretty sweet.  It was a three hour bus ride each way but it was well worth it.  The tour was in Spanish and at times it was difficult to comprehend what he was saying but the coolest thing I got out of the tour was about the construction of the Caral amphitheater.  It's shape was constructed as such to provide the sound that they desired for their religious rituals.

Saturday night we went to salsa night at a club in Barranco, another district of Lima close to Miraflores.  That was an amazing time.  There was a show in the club that night and at one point he asked for one man and one woman from every country there to go up, so I went up as an estadounidense (person from the United States.. it's offensive here to say that I am an American because so are the people here, they are South Americans).  I danced salsa in front of everybody at the club, probably about 300 or so, and won a hat and a beer doing so.

Today, Sunday was also a great day.  I slept in a little, had breakfast with my host mother, her boyfriend, Darek, and I met my host mom's oldest daughter, who is an art therapist and had some interesting stories to tell about that.   After that I went surfing with Darek and Nate, which was a blast.  We don't have school tomorrow morning so I'm going surfing again.  It's so cheap here.  20 soles ($7.50) for a board and wetsuit for however long you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment