Wednesday, June 18, 2014

El Jueves - 6/12

Today was a special day: the first day of La Copa Mundial, the World Cup.  As soccer grows more and more popular in the United States, so does the World Cup, so even back home today would have been a big day.  But go to South America, and it's not just some people watching the game.  Everybody watches the games and the excitement was in the air.  Every restaurant was decorated with World Cup stuff and I don't doubt that almost every TV that was on in South America today at 2:30, was tuned into the Brazil vs. Croatia game.  We didn't go to UNIFE today so we could watch the game and experience the atmosphere of the Mundial in South America.  After El Sol we went to Parque Kennedy because we had heard there was going to be a screen there.  Unfortunately there wasn't, but we went to Calle de las Pizzas instead and had a great time.  Jonah and I split a pizza, so we each had four slices... I didn't feel so great after that.  Every restaurant on the street was packed so it was a great atmosphere.

I was rooting for Croatia, as the clear underdogs.  They scored first, off an own goal by Brazil so it started off 1-0 Croatio to the dismay of many of the people watching, as most Peruvians were rooting for Brazil.  Brazil went on to score three more goals, however, and won the game 3-1.  I didn't feel that strongly about Croatia so I wasn't that bummed.  I was just happy to have had the experience of watching the opening game of the World Cup in a packed restaurant in Lima, Peru.

Tomorrow is our last day in Lima :(

No comments:

Post a Comment