Wednesday, June 18, 2014

El Martes - 6/10

Today was a long day but a good day.  It started with El Sol as usual and then a quick lunch before UNIFE.  But after UNIFE was the coolest part of the day.  We went to El Museo del Oro, the Museum of Gold.  When we first got there they weren't ready for us so we walked around the various gift stands outside the museum.  My grandma has a bell collection (I know, a little strange) with a bell from everywhere that she's been and whenever a family member goes somewhere, we usually buy her a bell.  So, in light of that tradition, I saw an awesome bell, and bought it for my grandma.

Once we got into the museum and started the tour, I was quite confused.  The museum was filled with guns and military uniforms from Peru's past.  There wasn't any gold in sight.  I'm not the biggest fan of war, nor the biggest fan of killing, and thus not the biggest fan of guns.  But I could appreciate a beautifully and artistically designed rifle form the sixteenth century.  Then, we went down the stairs into the basement, and that's where the gold was... It was awesome.  All of the gold is only still in Peru because it is the gold that the Spanish conquistadors never found.  Everything that the Spanish did find, they melted down and brought it back to Spain.  Halfway through the tour, I must admit that I did wander off and look at the rest of the gold that the tour wasn't going to cover.  While doing that, I did happen to run into the gift shop, where there did happen to be free samples of chocolate covered coffee beans.  I may or may not have hung out there for a little while, chowing down on some delicious chocolate covered coffee beans.  But then, I finished the tour and went home satisfied.  Today was an awesome day.

No comments:

Post a Comment