Monday, June 9, 2014

El Miércoles - 6/4

Today I woke up at 6 AM to go surfing before school some other kids from Northeastern.  I left the house at 6:30, was at the beach at 6:45 and in the water by 7.  We got about an hour and a half of surfing in before I had to get out, and managed to get to El Sol right on time.  After El Sol, I got the exact same sandwich that I did yesterday because it was so good.  We got on the bus to UNIFE and got there at 2 to begin the second part of our day.

The first thing at UNIFE today was either a language or literature class.  I went to the literature class, which isn't like me but I thought I'd see what it was like.  We pretty much went through the timeline of Peruvian literature, starting with the Spanish conquest and removal of the Incan empire and up until the present.  We learned about the styles that evolved over time and the most famous authors from each era.  After the literature class were the first half of Northeastern student presentations on the book we're reading, Lima: A Cultural History.  I'm going in the second half so I don't have to go until next wednesday, but today half of the NU kids presented on topics such as an overview of the city of Lima (climate, demographic, etc.), Pre-Hispanic Peru (Inca and other cultures before them), and past and present centro de Lima.  The girls that we work with at UNIFE are all interpretation and translation students and so as the NU students presented, every few sentences the UNIFE students would practice translating and each NU group that went there was a new UNIFE student who practiced her translating skills.  It was really impressive how good they were and how much they could remember of what was said.

No comments:

Post a Comment